1. Re-read the highlighted section on p. 237 of your textbook, “Tattoo in Polynesia.” Next, read the following articles:
Oxford University Press Blog: “Traditional Polynesian Tattooing,” March 19th, 2008:
“Embodied Symbols of the South Seas: Tattoo in Polynesia,” by Lars Krutak, June 3rd, 2013:
“Polynesian tattooing tools,” The Pitt Rivers Museum, University of Oxford, England, 2011:
Then watch this short video:
Polynesian Cultural Center: Samoan Tattoos:
2. Answer the following questions in a 3-paragraph minimum post:
- What are some of the meanings and reasons behind tattooing in Polynesian cultures?
- Who gets tattooed in Polynesian cultures, and why?
- How are the traditional tools similar to those used today?
- How are modern tattoos different from traditional Polynesian tattoos?
- Do you think that the proliferation of tattooing in the modern world has diminished the spiritual and cultural meaning of traditional tattooing in cultures like the Maori or Samoan, where it still carries great importance?