Term paper( worth up to 10pt)
Your term paper should explore a childhood or early adolescent disorder originating and expressed in childhood or early adolescence. I will Not be accepting the personality disorders or dissociative identity disorder.See list.
Your paper should address the following:DUEMARCH 26TH11:30pm on Sakai class Assignment section.
- Symptom picture – describe the symptoms commonly seen in the disorder you have chosen to research.
- Cultural variables – You should list a couple countries your disorder is found in and if it presents differently or with the same symptom picture as seen in the US. You should also include subcultures of the US (e.g. African American, Native American, Hispanic, Asian American). (2 pts.)
- Age of onset and Gender features – What is the average age when symptoms appear that lead to a diagnosis? Is the onset acute or insidious? For Gender features: ex. Bipolar is equally common among adolescents, major depression diagnosed 2X more in females than in males. (1pt.)
- Etiology – Describe the biology and genetics behind the disorder you are researching. E.g. What neurotransmitter systems and subcortical structures of the brain are effected in the disorder you are researching? It may be primarily a biological based disorder such as Bipolar or Schizophrenia, but be sure to address the psychological/emotional issues associated with this disorder. Eg. expressed emotion (EE) with regard to family relations or coping with peers with either bipolar or schizophrenia. Is this highly genetic? Does it run in families such as depression, schizophrenia, bipolar, ADHD, etc? (2 pts.)
- Course – Will it be a lifelong chronic course e.g. childhood-onset schizophrenia or relatively short episodes e.g. depression? How does the presentation change and effect the child/adolescent over developmental stages (e.g. Erickson developmental model)? (1pt)
- Prognosis – What is the end result you expect to see with regard to the symptom picture? E.g. What would the symptom picture look like when the person is 70. E.g. Would the client still have to be on medication? Would they still exhibit the symptoms of the disorder or would most of the symptoms abate? (1pt)
- Current treatment – What is the most effective treatment for your chosen disorder? Explain the main underlying theory of this treatment(s) and explain a technique that could be employed in the treatment plan. E.g. cognitive restructuring for major depression). (1pt)
- A differential diagnosis – You should compare and contrast another disorder ( ONLY ONE) which is similar and how to differentiate it from the main disorder you have chosen to research. In what ways is it similar and in what ways is it dissimilar? E.g. major depression vs Persistent Depressive Disorder. (1pt)
- Must be double spaced (12pt type and Times New Roman)
- Must have within text citations. THIS IS A MUST
- Articles, the DSM-V, books, and online sources are fine (.org more preferable but .com is fine with discretion).
- THETEXTBOOKISNOT ANACCEPTABLE SOURCE FOR YOUR PAPER.
- Try to use empirical sources when possible.E.g. Journal of Abnormal Psychology
- NO WIKAPEDIA.
Prevalence rates – prevalence rates in the US and world. (1pt.)
APA style is encouraged but not required
*** No longer than 10 pages – including title and reference pages.
*** Minimum page length 9 pages – including title and reference pages
*** You DO NOT need an abstract for this assignment.
List of Acceptable Disorders for Paper:
Choose any one disorder under the headings
***Make sure that your paper focuses on the childhood or adolescent presentation of the disorder you choose to research.
- Anxiety disorders
- Panic attacks
- Panic Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Specific Phobia
- Separation Anxiety disorder (SAD)
- Social Phobia / School Phobia
- Selective Mutism
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Mood disorders
- Major Depression
- Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia)
- Double depression
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Bipolar I
- Bipolar II
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar
- Behavioral Disorders
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
- Conduct Disorder (CD)
- Intermittent Explosive Disorder
- Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder (DMDD)
- Intellectual disability (ID) present the different levels of ID.
- Other disorders that also have Intellectual disability
- Fragile X
- Downs Syndrome
- Williams Syndrome
- Angelman’s Disorder
- Prader Willi Syndrome
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Classic autism
- Asperger’s syndrome
- Childhood disintegrative Disorder
- Sensory integration disorder
- Childhood-onset Schizophrenia
- Adolescent-onset Schizophrenia (you can choose to do a specific type with adolescent onset or just adolescent Schizophrenia)
- Eating disorders
- Childhood rumination Disorder
- Binge eating disorder (BED)
- Infantile Anorexia
- Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder
- Posttraumatic Feeding Disorder
- Anorexia nervosa (cover both subtypes)
- Bulimia nervosa (cover both subtypes)
- Orthorexia Disorder
- Failure to thrive
- Substance abuse and dependence disorders (focus should be on one specific type of substance of abuse e.g. alcohol)
- Should cover both what is considered abuse and dependency and how they are different.
- Sexual abuse
- Neglect (in its many forms)
If you choose to do your paper on abuse you must choose one type of abuse not all forms of abuse: