A health care organization may have highly qualified doctors and nurses who meet quality indicators for technical quality; however, due to a lack of communication, empathy, and scheduled office hours, patient satisfaction is low. In the corporate world, the phrase “the customer is always right” is frequently used to emphasize the importance of meeting the needs and expectations of the consumer. How does this approach apply to health care?
Health care industries are now using quality improvement models that are very business-centric to improve the quality of care delivery, patient satisfaction, and safety. In this Discussion, you evaluate various quality improvement models and determine which model would best be applied in your practice setting to address a specific need. You also develop a mission statement for addressing the practice problem.
- Reflect on the various quality improvement models and their application in health care presented in the Learning Resources.
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of each model.
- Consider how these models have been, or could be, applied in your practice setting.
- Based on your selected area of need, define a practice problem and create a corresponding mission statement.
- Investigate baseline data, and evaluate why this practice problem is a priority for improvement. Ask yourself: How does this practice problem in my organization compare to other organizations?
By tomorrow 01/03/2018 by 5pm New/York America time, post a minimum of 550 words essay in APA format with at least 2 references from the list of required readings below. Include the level one headings as numbered below:
post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
1) Summarize any practice problem (hospital acquired-infections or handwashing) relevant to your setting (hospital setting) of interest and share a potential measurable goal for a QI (Quality Improvement) team. Be sure to include the data that justifies why you feel a change is needed in this specific area.
2) Explain how the PDSA (Plan to Do Study Act) model might be applied, giving specific reasoning as to why this model best fits the needs of your practice problem. Describe how the practice problem you describe might be of interest to any accreditation initiative.
Joshi, M.S., Ransom, E.R., Nash, D.B., & Ransom, S.B., (Eds.). (2014). The Healthcare Quality Book, 3rd ed. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
Chapter 19: “Accreditation: Its Role in Driving Accountability in Healthcare”
Menaker, R. (2010). Leadership strategies in healthcare. The Journal of Medical Practice Management, 24(6), 339–343.
From increasing regulation to costs, this article evaluates the challenges that the health care industry faces. It then covers how transformational leadership and leadership strategies can help health care organizations address these challenges.
Boyd, S., Aggarwal, I., Davey, P., Logan, M., & Nathwani, D. (2011). Peripheral intravenous catheters: the road to quality improvement and safer patient care. Journal of Hospital Infection, 77(1), 37–41. doi:10.1016/j.jhin.2010.09.011
A unit within a health care organization implements measures that increase quality of care. This article studies this process and explains the research and results involved.Bottom of Form